Wedding Cake Designer of the Year
Who doesn’t like cake? Be it a traditional or contemporary design, every wedding must have a wedding cake as its centrepiece. With so many styles, sizes and tastes to choose from, making that final choice can be a tough and tasty decision for any couple.
Our judges are looking for cake makers with a difference!
An individual or team that can offer great choice and customer service and who can promise their couples something that is both visually stunning and delicious to eat!
Please send our judges the requested samples as indicated below as well as various photos of your portfolio along with your entry and explain to them why a couple looking for that special cake would choose yours. Entrants must make and decorate their own cakes.
For this year, our judges are accepting examples of work created over the last 24 months- as at our closing date ( Oct 2019 – Oct 2021) Within this time period our judges would welcome seeing both your early work and also, examples of your most recent work where possible please.
Please supply digital images of your baking creations when making your online submission entry.
It is also our intention to create a timed, contactless drop – off for you to submit cake samples to The Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel . This additional judging feature will be entirely dependent upon government guidelines at time of judging ( 11th Oct 2021) and you will be contacted by us nearer the time, with full details about how this process will work.
For this additional judging we kindly ask that all entrants supply us with 2 samples of cakes that they have baked for our judges; one should be a lemon cake and the other your own personal signature flavour.
This must be provided in the form of slices, not whole cakes. Our judges will already be aware of your cake styles and designs through your written entry and for this stage, they only require an opportunity to taste your wonderful cake!
Please ensure that your samples are clearly marked with your company name and please note that you are also most welcome to include an information sheet to tell our judges a little about the samples that you have provided.
Memory sticks/discs may also be supplied with your samples, which again must be clearly marked with your business name.
All entrants will be emailed nearer the time with more details regarding judging dates and times and will be judged on the following aspects:-
- How do you help the couples choose the shape and size of their wedding cake?
- Describe your consultation meeting
- What additional charges or set up fees do you ask for?
- Tell us a little about your cake making skills and style
- What accessories do you offer / supply for the couple?
- Tell us what style or flavour trends you have noticed and how you have catered for them
- How do you cater for food allergies?
- Describe how you liaise with the venue
- Please give us an example of one of your biggest challenges! (Include photo if poss.)
- What makes your service so attractive to couples?
- Please ensure you include a copy of your Level 2 Food Safety in Catering certificate
All entrants must have been trading for a minimum of 12 months as at time of judging (Monday, 11th October 2021) and be based in Kent.